I am part of a 40-minute lunch time “Connect and Reflect” Contemplative Dialogue circle that meets each Thursday lunch time at Pitt St Uniting Church, an inner-city church in Sydney.
We commence with 10 minutes meditation. Then each person introduces themselves and answers an opening question, on this occasion “where have you recently seen beauty?”
Then I placed a photo on the centre table, an example of the Japanese art of Kintsugi whereby a broken piece of pottery is repaired with gold.
I posed a series of questions, each person invited to share their response. No discussion, just intentional, attentive listening and pausing.
- As you gaze upon the picture what do you notice?
- What is evoked within you?
- How does it connect with what is going on in your life at present?
- We then paused, honouring what has been shared and noticed, what has shifted for us in our time together. Participants were then invited to share their noticings.
- Following a brief time of silence gratitude is named.
I was overwhelmed by the insights shared and the wisdom revealed. What a graced experience!